ENVIRONMENTAL POLICIES OF THE BURREN CENTRE, KILFENORA, CO. CLARE.
The Burren Centre is fortunate to be situated in an area surrounded by natural landscapes and human environments shaped by millennia of use. The personal touch and one on one communication with the visitor plays a primary role in Comhar Conradh na Boirne's policy towards satisfying the educational environmental needs and expectations of both tourist and local alike. The Burren panorama can no longer be taken for granted unless we educate people concerning the fragility, vulnerability of its eco systems and the absolute imperative of the conservation and preservation of the landscape. We remind all visitors to "Leave no trace of your visit, take nothing but memories".
The Burren Centre is committed to caring for the environment and providing a quality service in a manner that ensures a safe and healthy workplace for our employees/visitors and minimises our potential impact on the environment. We operate in compliance with all relevant environmental legislation and we strive to raise awareness of pollution prevention and environmental best practices in all we do.
We encourage education to observe and develop an awareness of living things in a range of habitats in local and wider environments and we raise awareness that air, water, soil living and non living things are essential to the environment. We encourage people to realise that people, animals and plants depend on each other and both individuals and communities have a responsibly for taking care of the environment. Visitors to The Burren Centre are reminded of the fragility of the eco-systems and uniqueness of the region and asked that care be taken not to disturb the plant and animal life.
ECO TOURISM POLICY.
• At The Burren Centre we minimise our waste by promoting recycling.
• We purchase products for cleaning that will not have an adverse affect on our environment i.e. degreasers are used throughout the building.
• Staff are advised to report leaks immediately to ensure water is not wasted at The Burren Centre.
• All food waste is collected by local farmers for animal feed.
• Plastic, Glass and cans are all sorted and recycled.
• All paper is recycled. Some of the shredded paper is used by local farmers as bedding for their animals.
• In the office we switch off computers when not in use. Our photocopiers has an automatic energy saving button.
• As much as possible use of natural light is maximised and low energy bulbs are used throughout the building. We encourage staff to switch off lights when not in use.
• We reduce our energy costs by using Airtricity as our supplier.
• We communicate our policy within our company and to the pub
• The Burren Centre supports the principles of the Burren Code to help safeguard the Burren landscape:
- Leave the limestone pavement as you find it
- Preserve natural habitats and leave wildflowers undisturbed.
- Take care not to damage monuments, walls and buildings
- Respect landowners, their property and their livestock
- Park and camp in designated areas
- Leave no trace of your visit, take nothing but memories.
back to top